Alright, here is a breakdown of my Colorado trip...
Thursday
Worked a half day and went to the airport with Joe and Tuyen. Ate a cinnabon and chicken fingers to further cement my position as KFP. Flew to Denver and landed around 11pm. The parents picked us up and my grandmother was miraculously awake when we arrived. My aunt told me how they saw a mouse earlier that day. I go to bed and discover what appears to be mouse pee/droppings on the top sheet of my bed. Ew. We change the sheets and I crawl in dubiously. 3am - I wake up to hear what sounds remarkably like a mouse chewing on wood. I listen for about 5 minutes to make sure I'm not imagining it. I can no longer sleep imagining a mouse running roughshod over me while i sleep. I move to the couch for the rest of the evening. At some point this evening, Joe gets bitten by a spider.
Friday
We head out with the following (my family + Tuyen, Aunt Judy, Cousins Marvel & Andi, Andi's husband Mike) to the New Belgium brewery in Ft. Collins. We meet up with the following (Uncle Joe, Cousins Ryan & Brendan, Brendan's fiance Jen, and two other family members i'm distantly related to whose names I forget, and Kathy and Brian) The tours are all filled up so we all do a tasting instead. Kellie meets us for lunch at Coopersmith's (where Tyler apparently violated himself on a horse once) and we watch my cousin Brendan inadvertently do terrible things to a celery stick. Rockies game at night, excellent fireworks finale. They essentially just said "Fuck it, burn 'em all". and it was AWESOME. We then go on a wild goose chase for pizza at 1am. Pizza is procured, and my hotel room is the bees knees.
Saturday
Fourth of July! Chill out during the day and go to the Cherry Creek Arts Festival during the day. We all split up and my mom and I look at overly expensive art together. I also saw the world's most rumptastic dog ever. Huge sheep dog that was so fluffy. Desperately wanted to rump him. Sadly, I could not. Dinner and general ridiculousness at my aunt and uncle's. Three of my uncles have an Irish band called Gobs O' Phun (Kellie, they're playing at the Estes Park Irish festival!), and my dad occasionally guest stars. They did a basement concert for the collected family (about 50 of us) and took requests. It was awesome. I got rattlin' bog so I was happy. Cousins ate on the patio and played apples to apples (2 separate games since there were so many of us) whilst making inappropriate jokes. Sigh, sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if i'd grown up in denver. But I'd be missing all the awesomeness I currently have. So there's that.
Sunday
Checked out of the hotel, hung out at the grandparents (mom's) and took a nap. Tuyen and I were in the same bed and I thought she was asleep when we hear my partially deaf grandfather say "what's wrong with Joe's foot? and this exchange happens:
GMA: a spider bit him
GPA: what?
GMA: a SPIDER
GPA: huh?
GMA: (full on yelling)SPIDER
to which Tuyen and I cracked up. Now we just periodically yell out the word Spider. Awesome. early dinner at another aunt's house and more cousin gathering. This time around Total Recall, Checkers, a rousing game of BS, and JEFF DUNHAM!! Ha! He was on comedy central so we watched for awhile. Then the aunts (about 6 of them) joined forces and guilted Joe into going to the hospital for his now swollen and discolored foot. I did learn that only 60 spiders in the world can bite, and of those 60, only 4 can poison a human in anyway. 3.5 hours later Joe got off an antibiotic IV with the diagnosis of a bacterial infection and instructions to take antibiotics for the next two weeks. poor fella.
Monday
I cannot for the life of me remember how we spent out day. I know that I slept way in because the altitude was killing me. And we went to the store...Hmm. At night my aunt and uncle on my mom's side came over with their wiggly dauschunds and we had dinner and played tiles (dominoes) with my mom's family. A nice, low-key evening.
I'll finish the rest later. This is hella long.
Friday, July 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i enjoyed this recap. sounds like an excellent trip.
The part about the Spider made me laugh again.
Post a Comment