Tuesday, May 13, 2008

3 days in one!

Tuesday
I'm a procrastinator. I could probably turn it into an art form. It's not that I don't want to blog. In fact, I often think of things throughout my day and go oooh I should write about that. But I just contemplate the time it would take me to sit down, write it out, expend some creative juices...and I flop my head back on the couch and continue to numb my brain with quality MTV drivel. Anyway...I haven't written because I'm lazy is the point. But now I'm not...the boss is not coming in today and this is going to be my time waster through out the day. So prepare for a doozy.

Saturday
Saturday I went to a wedding. The groom is one of my brother's best friends, and has been hanging around my family for like 9 years. The bride was in my class in high school and we cheered together for 4 years, so it was nice but WEIRD going to a wedding for my peers. I hung out with the groomsmen the whole time because they're like my older brothers. All 8 of them. Ha! It was beautiful though, and it was actually the first wedding I've been to where I thought...I would be totally cool with my wedding being like this. The ceremony was short and sweet and it was made all the sweeter by the fact that they had their friend Luke officiate. I've known Luke since I was in first grade and he's one of the sweetest guys you'll ever meet. He's also like 5'2 which means he's pocket sized and adorable. They thought about putting him on a step ladder for the ceremony but everyone decided against it...haha. Good call? Anyway...they did lift him up in the air for the garter toss though. It sadly went in the other direction. I think everyone would've been excited if he'd gotten it through the teamwork of the groomsmen. But as I was saying. The ceremony itself was very pretty and simple and it was outdoors as the sun was setting so it had a very nice feel to it. The only downside would be the BUBBLEGUM PINK bridesmaid dresses. It was painful to the eye. The cut was flattering on all of them considering that they all had such different body types, but the color was horrendous. The maid of honor was in fuschia which was a lot better, but the other four...ouch. There was also an open bar and some form of food available to me at all times which is clearly a necessity at any wedding. You don't want to sit around being hungry the whole time. It puts a damper on everything.

As for the reception, it was odd to see people from high school. One girl, Andrea, who is the groom's sister looks AMAZING, I think she's lost 50 pounds since high school and is so much happier and confident than I ever thought possible. She just got engaged and moved to Alaska with her fiance! Alaska! It was really good to see her. There were a couple of girls there that were in the "popular" clique with the bride in high school, and Andrea leaned over and said "I think it's funny that the popular girls got fat and the smart girls got happy". Ha! A couple of girls from high school said they didn't recognize me at first, so I guess that's a good thing? Or else I've gotten so horribly deformed, they just can't tell. :) I was such a non-girly girl in high school it probably shocked them that I could wear heels and apply eye liner.

Anyway, after the wedding my beer-buzzed self got a ride home with my brother and I crashed on his couch after hitting up Denny's at midnight. The Denny's on Sepulveda and Burbank has a BAR! We were all very excited by the fact that we could order pancakes and beer at like 1am. It was like going to Denny's after a high school dance, except with alcohol. Something that did not pop up in any of my high school experiences. God I was a nerd. Good times were had by all and Tuyen conveniently had her own car so when she got super sleepy, we didn't all have to leave. I think it was after 3am by the time we all left and 4am by the time Joe and I finally went to bed.

Sunday
Sunday I slept in on my brother's couch before venturing out for the mother's day festivities. We swung by the mall for some spare wii-motes for the moms and I dropped in to say hi to the wifey. I miss Borders already :(. Then, on the way out I totally ran into Joel from SD. I was zoned out pulling my hair back and I saw a guy wearing a "You Too" shirt and my mind went "Joel has that shirt" and then the head attached to the shirt said my name. It was trippy. So I spoke to him for about 10 minutes and caught up on his life and the old job and various mutual friends.

(Tangent)
The one glaring omission to that would be his current roommate, my ex-best friend, who I purposely did not ask about. Of course I'm curious, but my pride does not allow it. I've got that fun stubborn streak from my dad's side of the family. Facebook tells me she just entered into a relationship with some guy but it's "still very ish". First of all who the hell says that? "Ish" is not an adjective, please do not use it as a description. But outside of that, I wish her all the best because I know she's the type to define who she is by who she's with. And I've seen it go bad when the boy defining her is an emotionally stunted fucktard. Part of me is resentful that someone with so few decent people in her life would neglect to keep me in it. Another part is sad and melancholy that I lost someone I was so close to and that I don't have that person to call when I want to chat. And another part of me, perhaps a smaller part, is aware that towards the end I was barely friends with a girl I didn't know. It's so disconcerting to realize that a a little more than a year ago I considered her my BEST friend and I would not have hesitated to call her with anything and everything. She is possibly the only friend I've grown apart from where I put myself out there to try and salvage it when she wasn't making the effort. Kind of an ego blow when it doesn't work out, but it helps when other people recognize that I was a good friend to her, even if she didn't. Part of growing up is growing apart I guess. A sad but necessary realization.

Sunday cont'd
Anyway, sorry about that depressing tangent, we finally made it to my mom's house for the mother's day-ing. We wrapped up her wii-mote and gave it to her and she got really excited and my brother was like "yeah, now you have your own remote when you come over" and she was so happy! And then I brought out the big box and said "or you can play on your own wii!" and she got SUPER excited. God, it was so cute. We all played for a couple of hours after dinner (with delicious key lime pie for dessert...mmmm) and my arm hurt a bit from wii baseball the next morning. However, I think my highlights were watching my dad not understand AT ALL how wii bowling worked and watching my mom giggle for 20 minutes while she created wii versions of herself and my dad. It was really fun :) My mom is awesome, I don't have a single friend who's met her that hasn't referred to her as "adorable". It's the perfect word for her. Anyway, happy day of motherhood to her.

Tuesday cont'd
On a silly note, my boss Amos is quite possibly one of the most amusing parts of my day. He's currently in Poland and my lunchtime message from him consisted of his very best Borat impression for "Polish clubbing" and the following segment:

"Ok, so call me when you get back from lunch and we can catch up on what's going on in the office since I'm done with this show...I had to introduce Natalia in front of like 1,000 people and I got really bad stage fright Ok bye."

All in one breath. Made me laugh. Alright this is clearly too long, but let's pretend it's like 3 days of posts. Good talk. I hope your appetites for my meandering thoughts is now satisfied. And I didn't even get into my hatred of the shortening of words like I told KTP. "Let's hop in the lambo and hit the El". GAH! We'll discuss later.

1 comment:

God said...

yay! I am satisfied with this post. two things: you used the word fucktard!!!! and...i totally use 'ish' sometimes in common speech, please don't hate me. Sounds like the wedding was fun and we must visit this Denny's soon for the combo of alcohol and greasy foods is one of fattie's faves. chow.