I have returned from Philadelphia with a deeper love for the east coast. The leaves were changing and the weather was crisp and delightful. I think I've become spoiled by the ever present sun of California. It's just gotten to the point where it's rarely a "beautiful day" and more often than not it's just way too friggin' hot. At least when it's cold you can bundle up and make it work. When I get hot...I can really only strip down and then bathe in sunscreen, neither of which I really like. So you escape to the air conditioning inside and suxorz to you if you want to go outside. That's not to say that the east coast is devoid of hot summers. Lord knows New York can be stifling and the humidity over there is exponentially worse. But at least they don't see temperatures in the 100's in October.
Marie and I had a discussion last night of how if it weren't for our desired professions being based in Los Angeles (and my family), we would almost certainly not live here. I think that I have enough of an adaptable personality that I could be comfortable living elsewhere. My only requirement is that it be somewhere either in or very near to a larger city. For instance, I could see myself living in say Denver, San Francisco, Philly, New York, or London. Maybe even D.C. or Boston (pending a visit). I'd go back to San Diego in a heart beat too. But I just need to have that bigger city to feel connected to the rest of the world. It doesn't mean I need to live in the downtown area or anything...I just need to feel like I'm part of the world's pulse. Still fully connected no matter where I am.
My barrier to any of this is my connection to my family. I don't want to be away from them. Granted, I've done it before through 4 years of college and 3 months on a different continent. I'm capable of it...but I would really miss my parents and my brother. I would also miss some really amazing friends that I have here. Going somewhere completely foreign is both so terrifying and awesome. But how cool would it be to move around like that? Kind of be a nomad while you're still young and available? Establish friendships around the country and you'd totally have the coolest stories ever.
But I feel like everyone around me is constantly talking about wanting to get out. My mom has wanted to move back to Colorado for as long as I can remember. There were talks of it back in like 3rd grade. Andy was seriously contemplating packing it all up and making a go of it in Boston before he landed his internship. And then Kellie has her plan for Fort Collins and/or the Great Traveling Borders Circus (GTBC). Roberta and I talked about it in Philly this weekend too where she was thinking of going back to London for a year or maybe somewhere on the East Coast.
Maybe Chicago or Seattle too...Atlanta? Who knows...
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment