Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Petia the Park Ranger from Philly

Oh Petia. She might just have been the highlight of my trip. No, not really, but she was amazing. She was one of those people that you encounter in life and you think that you would never believe she existed if you hadn't seen it with your own two eyes. She had a thick Jersey accent and had a habit of talking out of the side of her mouth. She also had really greasy matted down hair that inexplicably poofed out at her ears into balls of red hair. It made slightly more sense when she put her ranger hat on, but still. She also had this thing with her arms that is difficult to explain but I can show you if you'd like. and finally...the best part...she would periodically raise her voice when lecturing at points that seemed both inopportune and odd. For instance:

"So this picture is of Andrew Jackson who was a LAWYER with RED HAIR."

It was so disconcerting and it made you jump because it was so unexpected. She would also frequently pose a question to the group and immediately cut us off.

"Do you know how many signers of the Constitution there were? I'm gonna TELL YOU"

Anyway, bottom line was that she was awesome and I'm going to steal her as a character for class.

Sights Seen:
Independence Hall
Liberty Bell
National Constitution Center
Benjamin Franklin Underground Museum
Outside of the Philadelphia Mint
Outside of the Philadelphia Federal Reserve
Benjamin Franklin's Grave
City Hall
LOVE Statue
Rocky Steps (Museum of Art)

Best part: THE LEAVES! :)

Hardest would you rather question EVER featured on the back of my beer at the wedding: Would you rather lose your sense of taste or your sense of humor?

The wedding was beautiful and she and her new husband seem like one of those couples that are just so frighteningly perfect for each other. They seemed very happy, it was great to be a part of it. I'm kind of excited for whenever I might get to be a bridesmaid. I've never done it before and I think it would be fun, if a little stressful. But most of my really good friends are single. And the ones that have boyfriends aren't necessarily getting married any time soon. And there's always the chance I might not even get to be one. For instance, one friend has 3 sisters plus 2 obligatory bridesmaids. I might not even make the cut. But that's neither here nor there. So I shall move on.

GG and BK^2 tonight! yay!!!!! Also, two posts in one day. That's new.

2 comments:

God said...

I'm glad I got a first hand interpretation of Petia. It was priceless.

Also...your title says fromn

Glad your back

kel said...

Dear Fatty Pants,

We recently went on a Road Trip to Philly and toured Independence Hall. We too had the honor of touring in the presence of Petia. After reading your blog, it was like we were back in Independence Hall. Your description of her was to a T.

We too enjoyed her Smoky the Bear hat, erratic arm movements, and absurd vocal intonations. For instance, This is Thomas Jefferson's WALKING STICK!.

Thank you for helping us relive this wonderful experience and may know you that the sun on George Washington's chair is ALWAYS rising.

Love,
The Whistlin' Kittychasers

p.s. If you would like to see a recent snapshot of Petia see Kelly Swope on facebook.