Two brief points.
1. I saw Eagle Eye fo' free last night with Wifey and Roomie in IMAX and it was nifty-tastic.
2. Please read the following excerpt from a Jon Stewart interview followed by my story:
For years, studies have come out saying that many young people get their news from late-night comedy, and Jon has always pooh-poohed this idea. But your shows are some of the only ones out there actually digging into archival video to prove when politicians are lying or contradicting themselves. You might not want the responsibility, but haven't you been given it by default?
COLBERT: I don't know if responsibility is the right word.
STEWART: It's more that we're an emotional show, not a political show. I don't know if you've ever spent time in s---hole bars in New Jersey with old people yelling at the TV, but that's what it is. It's a guy going, ''I never said that,'' and in the back of the room Elbow Eddie looks up from his Pall Malls and his Budweiser and goes, ''That's f---in' bulls---! I heard you say it two days ago!'' That's all that is. It's not a journalistic gotcha, it's just anger. It's easy when you're participating in the discussion to forget that people are watching and taping. Typically, politicians make you go back six months. But now...
COLBERT: I've got one for you. McCain said, ''The fundamentals of our economy are strong'' and ''Our economy is at risk.'' One was at 9 a.m., the other was 11 a.m. Our joke was ''You can be strong and at risk, too. Like, a muscleman who wouldn't wear a condom. What's the worst that could happen?''
When I was in London Jon Stewart was doing a promo tour in the UK for his book "America". As part of that he was doing "readings" of the book in theatres and essentially doing a Q&A and off-the-cuff comedy. Well I really wanted to see him so my friend and I went and my question to him (because I felt compelled to have dialogue with him) was "How do you feel about news reports that say that many young people/college students primarily get their news from you?" to which he was like "I don't believe that at all, young people are far too smart and far too worldly to depend on a comedy show for their view on the world" and then he kind of expanded on that for a bit. Well today I saw this article and I thought it was kind of cool that a legitimate media outlet asked the EXACT SAME question. Check me out, I'm journalistic-y. Woot!
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment